In 1976 Steve Sazama opened a neighborhood tavern called Saz’s State House beneath the Hawley Road bridge on the far west side of Milwaukee.
With humble beginnings and a round bar in an old historical building, Saz’s has grown to one of the most recognizable name brands in the restaurant and food industry today.
Many of us know Saz’s as the place with the “Mozz Sticks’ and “Sour Cream & Chive Fries” at Summerfest and the Wisconsin State Fair, and as “The Finest” in award winning bbq ribs and sauces.
A Short History of Saz’s
In 1980, with ever increasing business, Saz bucked the trend of high interest rates and built on a beautifully decorated addition to the main historical building adding much needed dining and bar seating. This new space has since been fondly called the “New Bar”.
1985, Saz’s began serving products in a concession style of service to festival goers at Summerfest and at the Wisconsin State Fair. This has evolved into a separate business today know as Saz’s Festivals growing into the number one vendor at both Summerfest and State Fair. Saz’s Festivals also take part in over 18 other major festivals such as Bastille Days, Festa Italiana, Zoo Ala Carte, Lake Country Art Fair to name a few.
1990 was a big year as patrons at the ever popular sports bar near County Stadium wanted to have Saz’s BBQ ribs and sandwiches served at tailgate parties. So with a few crazy employees a truck and grill, Saz’s Catering was born. Now the largest off-premise catering company in Wisconsin, Saz’s Catering serves over 1500 events per year from casual social events and high end formal dinners of 20 guests to company wide picnics, reunions and fundraisers exceeding 20,000 guests.
2002, Saz’s State House expanded with a 900 square foot addition – The State Room. The new wing is designed to host private parties and business meetings. The feeling of the original building was carried into the design details of the new room, right down to the rich wood bar.
2009, Saz’s Catering puts together a program to become the exclusive food and beverage provider at the Lambeau Field Tundra Tailgate Zone. A unique tented sports bar and food facility next to the Oneida Gate.
2010, Saz’s becomes the Official BBQ Partner of the Green Bay Packers with Saz’s Signature products provided in Lambeau Field suites and concession stands throughout the stadium. Sazama’s Lakeside Grille debuts at Summerfest featuring linen covered tables, sit down service with upscale menu creations, wine by the glass and bottle. Sazama’s Fine Catering becomes the exclusive food and beverage service for performances, banquets, outdoor events and galas at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts
2011, Saz’s celebrates 35 years in the food and beverage industry.
To begin celebrating its 35th Anniversary, Saz’s has scheduled specials for the entire month of March.
Celebrating Saz’s 35th Anniversary
Saz’s Open House March 4th
All are welcome to join Saz and friends on Friday March 4, from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Saz will be holding court at the Round Bar, so please stop by and congratulate him on this grand achievement.
This will be a fun-filled afternoon with visits from all of his cronies – past and present. They will also be have appetizer and drink specials during this time, too. You’ll never know who may show up for this one.
$35 Dinner for Two (dine in – only)
During the month of March enjoy this wonderful meal designed just for Saz’s 35th Anniversary.
- Enjoy an appetizer – Chef’s Choice.
- Choice of Two Entrées from Saz’s special menu
- Two Desserts – Chef’s Choice.
Entree Choices for Special $35 Dinner for Two:
- 1/2 Rack of our Award Winning Baby Back Ribs with Sour Cream & Chive Fries and Sazama’s Recipe Cole Slaw
- Rotisserie Style BBQ Chicken with Sour Cream & Chives Fries and Sazama’s Recipe Cole Slaw
- Chicken Parmesan with Pasta
- Signature Recipe Lasagna
- Baked Haddock (Lemon Pepper, Almondine, Cajun or Traditional) with Sour Cream & Chive Fries and Sazama’s Recipe Cole Slaw.
- Penne Pasta Medley (with a unique blend of shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, peppers, onions and cheesy vodka sauce)
Throwback Tuesdays (Prices from 1986)
Throwback Beverage Specials
- $1.50 Tap MGD, High Life and Lite
- $2.50 Rail Mixers
- $3.50 Rail Martinis and Manhattans
Throwback Food Specials (dine in – only)
- $5.00 Festival Famous BBQ Shredded Pork or Shredded Chicken Sandwich. Includes our home made Kettle Chips
- $5.00 Mozzarella Marinara Appetizers
- 1/2 Rack BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Sour Cream & Chive Fries, Sazama’s Recipe Cole Slaw for $11.00
- 1/2 Chicken Dinner (BBQ or Rotisserie Style) with Sour Cream & Chive Fries and Sazama’s Recipe Cole Slaw for $9.00
- Combo – 1/3 Rack BBQ Baby Back Ribs, 1/4 Chicken (BBQ or Rotisserie Style), Sour Cream & Chive Fries, Sazama’s Recipe Cole Slaw for $11.00
Saz’s State House
5420 West State Street
Milwaukee, WI 53226-1004
Tues – Thurs. 11:15 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Friday – 11:15 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Sat: 11:15 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Sunday Brunch: 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Sunday Dinner: 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.