As we reported back in February, two Milwaukee-area chefs were nominated for two James Beard Awards.
Justin Aprahamian of Sanford was a semi-finalist for Rising Star of the Year and Best Chef, Midwest. Dan Van Rite of Hinterland was nominated as well for Best Chef, Midwest.
Today, the James Beard Foundation announced that Chef de Cuisine Justin Aprahamian has advanced from semi-finalist to finalist for Best Chef, Midwest.
Finalists for Best Chef, Midwest:
- Justin Aprahamian, Chef de Cuisine of Sanford in Milwaukee.
- Tory Miller, Chef/co-owner of L’Etoile in Madison
- Isaac Becker, Chef/co-owner of 112 Eatery and Bar La Grassa in Minneapolis
- Lenny Russo, Chef/co-owner of Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market in St. Paul
- Colby Garrelts of Bluestem in Kansas City
This year’s five nominees for Best Chef Midwest (one of 10 regional chef awards) were selected from a group 20 semifinalists.
The final James Beard Award winners will be announced at the James Beard Foundation Awards Ceremony and Gala Reception in New York on May 9, 2011 at Lincoln Center.
1547 North Jackson Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202-2001
Hinterland Erie Street Gastro Pub
222 East Erie Street
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202