Downtown Milwaukee’s very own Ward’s House of Prime, 540 E. Mason Street, will be featured on a special episode entitled, “Big Beef Paradise” on the Travel Channel this Wednesday at 8 p.m. CST.
According to producers, the food show will feature the best places in the country to get big slices of beef, and it will include Ward’s chefs cooking up delicious cuts of choice beef, an interview with owner Brian Ward, and footage from a Prime Rib Eating Contest Ward’s recently hosted. The contest included 3 contestants trying to eat a humongous 160 oz (yes, 10 pounds) cut of prime rib in less than an hour.
In early 2010 Dane Kasper decided he wanted to eat 40 ounces of Prime Rib. At the time this size cut of meat was not offered on Ward’s menu so Executive Chef Bill Baumann happily carved the gigantic slab of meat for Dane, and the rest is, well, history. Dane conquered the 40 ounces and thus, “The Baby Dane” was born. Dane would later return to take down “The Great Dane,” 106 ounces of cooked to perfection Prime Rib to earn another spot of Ward’s menu and its “Wall of Fame.”
Ward’s “Wall of Fame” currently pays tribute to 9 previous customers who have conquered eating enormous portions of prime rib. Their caricatures are on the restaurant’s wall and their names are also featured on the Ward’s prime rib menu. The following prices were accurate at the time this blog was posted and prices are subject to change without notice.
- 40 oz –The Baby Dane $63
- 64 oz – The Big Bugalski $88
- 72 oz – The Amazing Alyssa DiGilio $99
- 88 oz – The Mighty Lind $111
- 96 oz – The Legendary Halaka $122
- 106 oz – The Great Dane $133
- 125 oz – The Holy Schmit $155
- 160 oz – Al-Mighty Halaka $218
- 168 oz – Awesomefat – The Michael Litman Experience $230
So, did anyone finish the 10 pounds of meat?
We can tell you that one person did conquer the massive cut in just 31 minutes and that one person decided to eat an additional 8 ounces of meat beyond the contest requirements to earn the rights to be included in the restaurant’s Wall of Fame.
The “Big Beef Paradise” episode is also scheduled to air at 11 p.m. on December 21 and at 6 p.m. on December 25 (Christmas Day).
Ward’s House of Prime
540 E. Mason Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Ward’s House of Prime is open Monday – Friday for lunch from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and for dinner Monday – Saturday from 5 p.m. – 10 pm. Their bar is open from 4 p.m. – 1 a.m. Monday – Saturday.
- Milwaukee’s own Solly’s Grille featured on Travel Channel tonight
- Ward’s House of Prime Now Serving Lunch Downtown
- Catch a Milwaukee episode of Travel Channel’s Man v. Food Nation Wednesday, August 3
- Watch local competitive eater attempt to take down Mulligans 7.5 LB. Burger Challenge live on Real Milwaukee Friday morning
- Milwaukee’s own AJ Bombers featured in Wall Street Journal today